Followers

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Charity Miles

In January of this year, I discovered the Smartphone app Charity Miles.  It seemed simple enough:upload the app on my phone, pick a charity to run for, turn it on when I start, turn it off when I'm done.  Each mile I run, 25 cents is donated to the charity of my choice.  It has become a regular habit of mine to use the app on my daily runs. 
  My charity of choice is almost always the Wounded Warrior Project. This charity is close to my heart, being an Army wife.  This charity helps Wounded Warriors and their families.  It is an easy way to give back to an organization that is helping so many people affected by the recent deployments. 
  What I like most about Charity Miles, other than the simplicity of using it, is that you have so many charities to choose from, including Every Mother Counts, Do Something.org, Habitat for Humanity, Ironman Foundation, The Nature Conservancy, The Michael J. Fox Foundation, ASPCA, Feeding America, Pencils for Promise, Partnership for a Healthier America, Achilles Int'l, WFP, Stand up 2 Cancer, (Red)to Benefit The Global Fund and Autism Speaks.  Everyone can find a charity that is close to their heart. 
  I recently watched this video which features Gene the founder of Charity Miles with his grandfather, who suffers from Parkinson's Disease.  Gene started this company in order to gain support from corporate sponsorships that will contribute to these charities.  I love their slogan #EveryMileMatters. Because it does. As a runner, I'm out there running anyway. Why not benefit a charity at the same time?
  Right now Charity Miles has the chance to have the opportunity of being chosen to have a commercial during the Super Bowl.  Click here to vote for them to get to the next round. 
I also hope you will be inspired to upload the app, and start earning your own Charity Miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment