Followers

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Teaching an Old Dog

I haven't blogged recently, because life got super busy over here.  I started studying to become certified as a Personal Trainer.  I chose ACE Fitness, and so far I've been really happy with the online support and the study materials. 

 The difficult part has been finding time every day to focus on my studies.  The last time I was a student, I was single, and without children.  And it was many, many, years ago!! I am trying to clear the cobwebs, and find room in my brain for all this great information! I studied to become an RN, and graduated in 1994. I worked as a nurse until 2001. Then motherhood, moving overseas, and moving every 2 years got in the way of my working.  I have been a stay at home mom since then.  So, I did study some of this information, especially the anatomy and physiology.  But that was more than 20 years ago! Wow! How the time flies.  So, while the information is familiar to me, I feel like I'm starting over. The good news is, I have a passion for physical fitness and exercise physiology, so it is worth the effort to absorb the information once again.
  Studying while having the demands of home and family is definitely different. Luckily, I tend to be super organized and scheduled.  The days that I have actually set aside a block of time to study, I have for the most part, been successful.  It's just like running and training for races for me.  If I don't have it scheduled, it just won't happen.  Life still gets in the way, like all the school delays and cancellations we have had lately because of the crazy weather here in PA.  So, I have had to resort to popping in a movie in the DVD player when I need 90 minutes of quiet study time. You do what you can, right?
 I know once I earn my certification, it will all be worth it.  I am hoping to incorporate my nursing skills, along with the new knowledge of personal training, to inspire and teach people how to live healthy, active lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment