Followers

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Goals From Mind to Paper

I have been formulating my goals for 2013 in my mind, and after receiving my second  Believe I Am Journal,  I have put them to paper. So, this is what I wrote:

Goal #1: Have an injury-free year.  I have never had an injury-free year, but I think I've learned enough over the last few years to make this possible.  The steps I will follow to achieve this goal: a)strength train 1-2 x per week b) stretch/ice as needed c) listen to my body. ie. rest if needed, don't ignore little pains that could turn into real problems d) gait analysis. I have a referral to a PT for this. My ortho doctor recommended it due to my frequent shin splints which in the past have led to tibial stress fractures. e) replace shoes and/or orthotics if needed after gait analysis.

Goal #2: 13 Races in 2013
 I have never raced as much, but this is a good goal for me. I will achieve it if I take the following steps: - space races appropriately (at least 3-4 weeks at least between races)
- find affordable, and if possible, local races
- plan at least 1 race/month.  I need to be pro active in this, the races are not going to just come to me.  I need to plan as much as possible. This is difficult only because after June, I don't know where we will be living. The Army may move us this summer, still awaiting the word on this. But so far I have races planned in Jan, Feb, March, and 2 in April. So, 5 planned already.
- Don't do too many high distance races.  I want to avoid burnout, and injury (see goal #1). So, no races over a half marathon for the first 6 months this year.  I have 3 5Ks scheduled, plus a 10 miler and a half marathon.
 - Being accepted into the Oiselle Team has really inspired me to set and achieve this goal.  As a team member, we are required to compete in at least 5 races, but I decided to step it up for 2013!

Goal #3: PR
 This one is tough, but achievable.  I know I am getting older, and time really isn't on my side. I do feel that I have faster races in me though.  Much of this is mental, so I'm taking the following steps to achieve this:
- speed work, in the form of tempo, intervals, track workouts and fartlek runs at least 2 x per week.
- follow training plan. I am currently using Train Like a Mother: Half Marathon Own-it Plan leading up to the Nike Women's 1/2 Marathon in DC in April.
- I need to learn to not be afraid of the pain. This is the hardest for me.  I tend to freak out when racing starts to hurt, and I pull back.  Mentally I need to push through this and remember that racing and pushing yourself to the limits HURTS.
 - by doing so many races, I have many opportunities to PR in several distances. In the past, I may have done only 2 or 3 races for the year, and if I didn't PR, and it wasn't my greatest day, the opportunity was gone. This should be good for me as I learn to race, and race better!
 Current PR's are as follows:
 5K: 24:10
 10K: 50:25
10 mile: 1:32
1/2 Marathon: 1:53

So, there you have it. My goals for running in 2013.  I also have some personal goals, which I have yet to put in my journal. Some of them include: passing my exam for personal trainer certification.  I recently ordered my study materials from ACE Fitness, and once they arrive, I have 6 months to schedule the exam and pass!
 I am also hoping to get my running coach certification.  Trying to work that out in my family schedule to get the training done in a weekend when it is offered. 
 Once I have these 2 certifications, it is time for this momma to find a job!!  It will be part-time at this point, since I still have one at home with me every afternoon.  But soon she will be in school full-time, and I am ready to venture out and fill my time with something I enjoy doing.  Best case scenario: I get paid to workout, and I get to instruct/inspire others to achieve their fitness goals. 2013 will be the year that I start working towards that goal.
 So, I have a good feeling for this #Lucky13!!

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment